[opendtv] Re: Humax Ships $229 ATSC Set-Top Tuner

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:45:46 -0400

Mark Aitken wrote:

> I have yet to do field trials on this one, but I will say
> that these folks have done the best job yet on a 'real"
> and useful EPG based on PSIP. Full 2 week by all station
> (with current program preview) program listing. Now, only
> if Broadcasters would do a respectful job of getting PSIP
> right!m ;-)

> Nicely built box, good "feel", and good consumer interface.
>
> A real deal at less than $200 if it works in most
> environments. We'll see...

Seems to be selling for $229.

One feature that is lacking is any sort of timed operation.
If you want to connect one of these boxes to a recorder, I
would think the easiest approach (technically, not
operationally) would be to program it as if it were recorder,
then program the recorder separately to tune to an AV input
channel, for the time slots needed.

At least the owner's manual doesn't describe any such mode.

Might be easier to buy an integrated ATSC recorder and use
it as the STB. Which would obviously increase the price of
the transition.