[opendtv] HDV vs. AVCHD?

  • From: John Golitsis <jgolitsis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 10:24:05 -0400

I had to pick up an HD camcorder in a hurry yesterday and allowed myself to be swayed to an AVCHD-based Sony HDR-SR7 over an HDV-based JVC Everio GZ-HD3 (or even an) HD7. The Sony's max bitrate is 15Mbs, while the JVC is 30Mbs. The big problem is that it seems that only iMovie deals with AVCHD right now on the Mac. I also find that the Sony feels lousy in hand, but the guy who will use it most loves Sony and didn't much care to hear my impressions of it while I was in the store.

Does anyone know if AVCHD support is coming very soon to either Final Cut Pro or Final Cut Express HD? Also, will there be a significant difference in image quality between the two, given the difference in encoders?