[opendtv] Re: HDMI capture

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 21:25:49 -0400

My bet is #3. Either way, none of those excuses should be valid.
Microsoft *should* be more worried about doing something illegal than
they are worried about displeasing another industry (rather than their
customers).

Craig pins this on the broadcasters or the conglomerates. I don't. The
blame here is squarely on Microsoft and other industries that pander in
similar ways.

I put Microsoft right up there with the congloms - businesses that are run as monopolies and oligopolies tend to abuse that power. In most respects, Microsoft is more of a "bad actor" than you will find on any Hollywood studio lot.

But it goes further...

Microsoft has courted the favor of the media conglomerates, and one of the ways they have done this is to support the congloms desire to control digital media distribution. This is not some recent behavior. I have seen the company do this in the digital media space for more than a decade, starting with their brute force antics with the DTV Team. They tried to win over the cable industry too, but failed miserably because cable STBs do not get along well with bloatware, especially the Microsoft variety that still didn't work after three generations.