[opendtv] Re: HDMI attracts three challengers

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:10:57 -0400

Dan Grimes wrote:

> From HDMI.org:
>
> Q. Is HDMI backward compatible with DVI (Digital Visual Interface)?
>
> Yes, HDMI is fully backward compatible with DVI compliant devices.
> HDMI DTVs will display video received from existing DVI-equipped
> products, and DVI-equipped TVs will display video from HDMI sources.
> However, some older PCs with DVI are designed only to support
> computer monitors, not televisions. Consumers buying a PC with DVI
> should make sure that it specifically includes support for
> television formats and not just computer monitors.
>
> Also, consumers may want to confirm that the DVI interface supports
> High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), as content that
> requires HDCP copy protection will require that both the HDMI and
> DVI devices support HDCP to properly view the video content.

Don't believe it.

My one experience with this, HDMI STB to DVI+HDCP monitor, failed.
(After buying the outrageously expensive cable.)

After doing a little reading about this topic, it appears that my
experience was, if not universal, at the very least quite common.

If these folks are going to push to have analog interfaces blocked as of
12/31/2010 (for HD content), and made completely useless as of
12/31/2013, one sure hopes they will iron out the bugs first. I notice
that cable and FiOS installers typically ignore the HDMI option
completely. I guess they must have encountered enough bugs to not want
to bother. Maybe unfair, and all the bugs have long been fixed.