[opendtv] Re: HDMI attracts three challengers

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 19:43:42 -0400

dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've just completed an install with HDMI technologies, and I believe the
> state of digital connections is in serious trouble.  We (not me but a
> bunch of engineers specializing in AV technologies) tried doing a complete
> digital path with DVI from the computers, HDMI from the Blu-Ray players,
> DVI from the document camera, etc. to the projector for an auditorium.
> This requires converting everything to HDMI to get the Blu-Ray player to
> work.  We had to really mess with the design to get things to work (in
> fact we didn't with DVI as I'll explain later).
>
> The first problem is the distance limitations.  Then there is constant
> converting of DVI to HDMI and back (HD-SDI, too).  But the worst is trying
> to get the EDID to work.  It seems that most of the electronics out there
> do not properly handle the keys.  Naturally, there are specifications that
> provide requirements to properly handle things (with up to 40 keys
> shifting around), but it turns out that most electronics do not handle
> them properly, in fact sometimes not at all or at least enough of them.
> HDMI works when you have one player plugged into one monitor, but as soon
> as one starts using switches and routers, getting pictures is very
> difficult.  I must disagree with the quote:
>

> " 'These technologies do start at the professional level, but it's such an
> easy technology to use that people won't hesitate linking their Blu-Ray
> player to a digital TV over HDMI' for applications like whole-home video
> recording, said Rob Tobias, director of market development for Silicon
> Image."
>
> In our installation, there were no recording devices, only sources
> (camera, computer display, Blu-ray) and monitors (projector and LCDs).
>
> After doing some research, we discovered there are some technologies on
> the horizon to deal with the issue.  For instance, Crestron will have an
> image processor with card slots and proprietary processing to handle the
> EDID keys.  The results will be active switching with key handling. Active
> (hot switching) will not currently work with EDID, at least not reasonable
> enough to use in production.
>
> So what did we do?  We went back to RGBHV analog signals for almost
> everything and are routing and processing them instead of digital.
> Unfortunately, there are some distortions due to processing but at least
> the picture is there.
>
> We do still use some digital: in order to get 1080p from the Blu-ray
> through the HDMI to the projector, we must turn on or turn off certain
> pieces of equipment.  We do that when we need the pure path for a Blu-ray.
>
> By the way, the RGBHV outputs on our Panasonic Blu-ray players do still
> put out a 720p signal.  I understand there is a moratorium until 2012 on
> scaling the analog signal back to 480p.  I do not know if this is just a
> "gentleman's agreement" or if it is official.
>
> Dan

I don't know if you've got 'til 2012, except on current player models.
Yesterday on AVS I saw what looks like an announcement of the final AACS
agreement,  covering Blu Ray and other things.  See:
<http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=16609349>

I never really expected an agreement on this (ever!) since they have all
been squabbling about it for many years now.  The forum post listed some
highlights:
-------- q ----------
*1. Requirements for Prerecorded AACS Content*
1.2.1. Content Participant/Provider may assert the Digital Only Token
only with respect to (a) Non-Consumer Products and/or (b) LCP Units
Released in a given country within the first six (6) weeks after the
first Theatrical Release of substantially similar Digital Entertainment
Content in such country, provided that in the event of the circumstances
set forth in this part (b), within six (6) months after such first
Theatrical Release, Content Participant/Provider shall Release in such
country LCP Units containing a version of such Licensed Content Product
that does not assert the Digital Only Token.
1.3.2 Content Participants/Providers shall not, prior to December 31,
2010, direct Licensed Content Producers to embed the Image Constraint
Token in Licensed Content Products offered for sale or other
distribution in a country in which there was a government or
quasi-government regulation or equivalent prohibiting the use of an
Image Constraint Token, or equivalent, for scrambled or encrypted
content as of November 30, 2005.
1.4 Image Constraint Token and Digital Only Token Disclosure. If Content
Participant/Provider has directed that the Image Constraint Token and/or
Digital Only Token be set with respect to a particular LCP Unit, then
the fact that such Image Constraint Token and/or Digital Only Token (as
applicable) is set shall be disclosed by the Content
Participant/Provider to the consumer either (i) on such LCP Unit’s
product packaging; or (ii) only in the case of a consumer product, by
other reasonable means that allows the consumer to be aware at the point
of initial purchase that the Image Constraint Token and/or Digital Only
Token (as applicable) is set with respect to such LCP Unit.
*2. Licensed Player Compliance Requirements*
2.2.2.1 Analog Sunset – 2010. With the exception of Existing Models, any
Licensed Player manufactured after December 31, 2010 shall limit analog
video outputs for Decrypted AACS Content to SD Interlace Modes only.
Existing Models may be manufactured and sold by Adopter up until
December 31, 2011. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Adopter may continue
to manufacture and sell an Existing Model in which the implementation of
AACS Technology is a Robust Inactive Product after December 31, 2010
provided that when such Robust Inactive Product is activated through a
Periodic Update, such Periodic Update results in a Licensed Player that
limits analog video outputs for Decrypted AACS Content to SD Interlace
Modes only.
2.2.2.2 Analog Sunset – 2013. No Licensed Player that passes Decrypted
AACS Content to analog video outputs may be manufactured or sold by
Adopter after December 31, 2013.
*TABLE C1 AACS Authorized Copying Methods*
When a copy of Decrypted AACS Content is authorized, either by CCI or by
an Online Transaction for Managed Copy, a Licensed Copier may make such
copy using AACS Authorized Copying Methods defined in the table below
pursuant to the requirements of this table, the Specifications and this
Agreement.
AACS Prepared Video
Obligated Managed Copy Resolution: Full Resolution

I haven't seen the complete agreement yet.

- Tom