[opendtv] Re: Google And Verizon are Setting Our Public Internet Policy

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 16:40:02 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Therefore - and I can produce documents to verify this - the Advisory
> Committee and the ATSC publicly stated that the system would be HDTV
> ONLY, with the formats announced by the Grand Alliance. We were NOT
> ALLOWED to discuss or submit any documents related to SDTV or
> multiplexing while the final standard was being completed in tested
> between 1993 and 1995.

I wasn't present, but I can certainly believe that the political element of the
ATSC, and also any broadcaster members, would have taken such a stand. But CE
companies and academia members would have no reason to fear acknowledging the
truth.

And in retrospect, the politically-minded and broadcaster members were not
wrong to do so. The FCC is trying to do today what they didn't do back then.

My real point was, as an outsider following all of this with great interest, I
had absolutely no problem understanding that if 720p60 and 1080p30 could fit in
the 6 MHz spectrum, then the reason for 720p24 and 720p30 was obvious. Even if
all programs were HD, these modes would allow for more than one program stream.
Because they would be able to make do with considerably less that the full 20
Mb/s bandwidth.

> And I don't know what you're smokin Bert, because my original
> statement that set off this argument was:
>
> ... Up to that point the GA was steadfastly AGAINST standard
> definition video formats and multicasting, ...

I guess the "steadfastly against multicasting" is what I found incredible, as
it seemed so doggoned obvious from day 1. And in fact, the cat had already been
let of the bag years earlier, as the 1992 article proves. So it seemed hard to
believe that possibility of multicasting wasn't common knowledge.