[opendtv] Google And Verizon are Setting Our Public Internet Policy

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OPENDTV" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 10:40:38 -0700

An email I received:
It may be a little bit "over the top" but addresses the important issue of Net Neutrality, which we have discussed.
Dale

Something stunningly outrageous happened this week, when Google and
Verizon announced they had reached a "deal" for the future of the
internet. Since when is it the place of special interest corporations
to determine what public policy should be?

Actually it has been going on in back rooms all along, a prime recent
example being a health care bill written (the one that passed)
substantially by Liz Fowler, a former Wellpoint executive, who is now
apparently in line to also administrate the bill she wrote (another
outrage).

But never before has it been so brazen that two industry giants
should publicly declare they have reached a private agreement, and to
expect Congress and the President to just fall in line.

They must not. Congress must reject this public carving up of the
public interest and instead establish clear principles in law that
industry giants must not be allowed to use their power to
discriminate access to the internet of the future.