[opendtv] Re: Forbes: TV Broadcasters Will One Day Be Kicked Off The Airwaves

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 22:38:48 -0400

What does Forbes have to gain if this occurs?
What are they investing in for THEIR future?

Cliff

On 10/20/2015 9:45 PM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:

On Oct 20, 2015, at 8:58 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Bert thinks tablets are a shooting star toy. In reality they
are content consumption screens that will be with us for many
decades to come.

If you must make yourself believe that.

What's to make?

Your position is clear, and this post confirms that.

So you must be questioning my beliefs.

I have no problem believing that tablets, smartphones and 2 in 1's will be
popular devices for many decades to come. That there will be a product
continuum, and many market segments around the world is completely logical. We
are essentially talking about product variations based on form factors and the
availability of discretionary income to own more than one.

The growth of tablets as mobile/second screens for TV consumption is documented
in numerous studies. Total tablet sales may be slowing, but usage is growing.
And the sale of more than 200 million devices per year is nothing to sneeze at.
We are near the crossover point where more tablets are sold than PCs.

What better way to confuse the analysts than to combine them into one device?

"It's a tablet!"

"It's a PC!"

It remains to be seen if "it's a fad."

The stats show that what I think are now called "slate tablets" are losing out
to both 2-in-ones and the larger-screened smartphones.

What stats?

Smartphone sales continue to grow as they begin to penetrate global markets; in
emerging markets like China and India a smartphone with a larger screen makes
perfect sense for those who cannot afford a phone and a tablet.

In mature markets like the U.S. the 2 in 1 may appeal to those who do not want
three devices - phone, tablet and PC. The market will decide.

Which makes a lot of sense. The problem with the slates is that they aren't
easy to carry, like the bigger new smartphones, and yet they cannot credibly
replace laptops, which the 2-in-ones can do.

This may be true, but ignores the reality that many people DO NOT want a laptop
replacement. You can add a keyboard to almost any tablet, as I do when I run
some productivity apps. I can easily run the iWork apps on my iPhone, my iPad,
and my Mac. I'm fortunate to afford all of these devices, and appreciate the
way that Apple's ecosystem ties them all together.

I've certainly noticed the change just in riding the metro. It's rare to see people
weilding their tablets on the train anymore these days. But of course,
"everyone" is staring at their smartphone. My wife noticed herself shifting
over to the smartphone, from her tablet, since Amazon has an app that gives her access to
all the same content, whether on the original e-reader, Fire tablet, or smartphone.

This is not surprising. Now that screen size and resolution have improved on
smartphones it is less important to pull out the tablet or laptop on the train.
I rarely take my tablet when I am out working or shopping. But I use my tablet
extensively at home, and when traveling at hotels.

Perhaps the most compelling usage case for tablets is the ability to do, as I
am right now. Sitting in a recliner in the family room with the TV on, doing
e-mail, odor playing casual games, and surfing the web...

NOT channel surfing.