[opendtv] Re: First look at ATSC HD Broadcast

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:53:28 -0400

Bob,

I could see your point for a closed universe subscription service, where you
have an upgrade already in the R&D pipeline, are relatively confident that
you want to upgrade within the next x months, you are fairly certain of the
hardware requirements to support that upgrade, and that you as provider
would otherwise have to fund the STB replacement to your entire subscription
base at once.

I was speaking of FOTA service where the consumer is free to choose his/her
own equipment.  But again, I ask could hardware in 2000 be designed to allow
being upgraded to AVC in 2005?  Look again at that Nokia STB you had in your
hands in 1999 that didn't even have the ability to support 8K COFDM, and
tell me it could have been designed to accept a software upgrade to run
AVC/WM9/H.264?  Maybe it could have, but it would cost almost the same as a
PC.

Note also that I am not speaking of software updates to the STB's operating
system and program guide.  That is trivial and had better be upgradeable.

John