[opendtv] Re: FCC cracking down on misleading advertised broadband speeds

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 06:23:03 -0400

John Shutt wrote:
>> From the article:
>
> "Last year, the average user consumed more than 9GB of data per month
> on their home connection while the median user consumed less than 2GB,
> the commission said. The wide gap between those figures reflects the
> small number of users who consume large amounts of data per month. The
> most data-intensive 1 percent of residential consumers account for 25
> percent of all traffic. The top 10 percent consume 70 percent, the FCC
> said."
>
> Opening up the door to charging home internet users by the MB
> downloaded, instead of by the theoretical maximum download speed of
> the connection.
>
> John
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>> http://broadcastengineering.com/news/FCC-cracking-down-on-misleading-advertised-broadband-speeds/index.html

My broadband service is 12 mbps from Comcast, almost their lowest
available speed here.  But 12 mbps (bits) comes out to 1.5 MB (bytes) /
second or 5.5 GB per hour.  Under the above figures the median customer
pays for one month but uses only less than 1/2 hour of that each month,
the average customer less than 2 hours per month.   Cable providers
should thank their lucky stars for that deal.  And, except for
posturing, I don't see them really very upset about it.

Bits (wired bits) are becoming cheap and they know it.

- Tom