[opendtv] Re: FCC Opens TV Spectrum for Broadband Use

  • From: Ron Economos <w6rz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 14:34:33 -0800

You can buy them for less than $50K these days.

http://www.zeevee.com/

Ron

On 12/6/2010 2:00 PM, Cliff Benham wrote:

On 12/6/2010 9:36 AM, John Shutt wrote:

I'd at least like to see cable STBs start to use a channel 3 ClearQAM
interface to the television, even if you still need to use the box to
receive programming. Shouldn't be too hard for the box to strip the
desired video and audio streams and repackage them in a ClearQAM
modulated bitstream. This will at least allow the television to do the
MPEG decoding for a cleaner picture.

Unless things have radically changed in the 4 years since the TV lab I worked in required $50 Grand worth of rackmount equipment to make an unencrypted QAM stream, I don't see how it is either financially or physically possible to put QAM 'modulaters' in millions of set top boxes and lease or sell them at a competitive price to consumers.

I would be very interested in knowing if this has in fact happened.

Cliff