[opendtv] Re: DVB-T HDTV demo using 19.7 Mbps in a 6 Mhz channel in costa rica

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 14:20:42 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>Bob Miller wrote:
>

>>We are still waiting for those better 8-VSB receivers
>>Bert and I for one will put any COFDM receiver up
>>against them.
>>

>I believe in the tooth fairy. We are all free to believe what we wish.
>The fact is, we don't have DVB-T in the US, so this has once again
>devolved into the meaningless.
>

>>We are not talking here about theoretical 8-VSB
>>receivers that may be developed that will obsolete
>>current 8-VSB receivers are we?
>>

>Correct. We are not talking theoretical. We are talking about components
>that have been developed, productized, and tested, are available in
>large quantity, and some of which are already deployed in integrated
>sets.
>
>Bert

Maybe the tooth fairy tells you that decent receivers are being
installed into integrated sets.

There is no 8-VSB receiver that can match DVB-T receivers installed or
imagined. There are no 8-VSB receivers for sale that can even support a
viable business plan in the US. There is/was an 8-VSB prototype that
would support a weak, fixed reception only, business plan in the US.
Where is it? If your tooth fairy knows of one, integrated or not, let me
know.

And with DVB-T you don't have to wait for imagined $50 converter boxes
in 2009 that maybe decent or may be (more likely) no better or even
worse than current receivers.

With DVB-T you can go on Ebay, completed sales, and get an inkling of
what you will be able to get DVB-T receivers for soon after the US switches.

The start below $10 for used ones. That is another benefit of having a
market on fire, used equipment for peanuts. New ones can be had for
under $50 also.

Bob Miller