[opendtv] Re: Comment on Mark's Memo

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:56:04 -0400

At 12:43 PM -0500 11/8/04, John Shutt wrote:
>Mobile may not directly affect digital penetration any more than having
>games on a mobile telephone increase wireless penetration.  Mobile will not
>drive the market, but it is nice to know that it is an option.
>
>Just look at the number of DVD players are factory installed into U.S.
>vehicles today.  There is a market for mobile video, no?

Yes.

There are real emerging markets for mobility, however, I think the
market for portability is significantly larger. I am not, however,
talking about moving the LCD panel with the rabbit ears from the
kitchen to the bedroom.

What I am talking about is the ability to view broadcast video and
data services on the millions of portable information appliances in
use every day. I would gladly spend a few dollars to allow my
Powerbook to receive DTV broadcasts, if the service was reliable and
ubiquitous. I could tune into stuff in an office, a hotel room, or
while sitting in an airport. I could throw the Powerbook into the
truck and have a portable TV at the farm while working on weekends.
And I could receive local data broadcast services with useful guides
and other services when I travel.

The market is not huge, but would anyone care to venture a guess when
the ATSC Sony Watchman will hit the market. How big will it need to
be? How long will the battery last?