[opendtv] Re: Borrell: Local Mobile Ads To Double This Year

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:34:36 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> There is a very real difference between spam and an opt in ad that
> is targeted at something you want.

Like telephone spam, right? That too was potentially "targeted." But in fact,
it became a colossal nuisance. So instead of gushing about the virtues of spam
on a new medium, we should try to learn lessons from the past.

Why was telephone spam so supremely annoying that it resulted in an act of
Congress to finally put an end to it? Whereas newspaper, TV, and snail-mail
spam are relatively benign? And how would the answer to this question apply to
the new medium, in this case, handheld toys?

The answer is, telephone ads became an unwanted barrage of difficult-to-ignore
interruptions to your everyday activities. Difficult to ignore is the key.

No matter opt-in or not, if you are bombarded with interruptions when you're
busy interacting over your new handheld device, this will become a nuisance.
The exponential increase in spending for these mobile ads tells me, these guys
are on the wrong track.

It seems to me that at best, the ads might work if they only appear when using
a separate, selectable, yellow pages service. And even then, they had better be
small enough to not hog all of the already-tight display real estate.