[opendtv] Barton on Receiver issue

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 00:23:54 -0400

K. B. wrote alt.video.digital-tv:

<http://broadcastengineering.com/newsletters/rfupdate/20050513/Joe-Barton-DTV-digital-analog-20050506/>

 > Other panel members seemed less enthusiastic about pulling the plug
on analog transmission. At least two said they did not look forward to
being in their offices, taking calls from angry constituents, who will
want to know why they can no longer receive free over-the-air TV the day
after the switchoff.

 > ---
 >
 > Kirk Bayne
 > alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
 > <http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm>

Bob Miller response...
 From that same article...

"During the questions from the audience, one broadcaster took the mic
and sarcastically told Barton that broadcasters had failed Congress 10
years ago when it was considering a digital transition deadline. He said
broadcasters had failed to explain the importance of a “digital
reception” deadline as part of digital transmission deadline."

Barton held a meeting today in the Rayburn Building on the subject which
I attended. When I brought up the same subject of the need for a
receiver standard and the facts that most receivers sold today will not
meet any meaningful standard an engineer could set to paper with a
straight face he took offense.

He said that that was not what manufactures were telling him.

Well what one manufacturer told his LA's at a meeting last week was
this, paraphrased. They were demonstrating a solid state
tuner/receiver/converter card that they said they could make for $40 in
quantities of millions. This cost does not include IP royalties, a box
or power supply, the cord, blinking lights and plastic front end, remote
control, just the board with connectors for S-Video out, antenna in and
composite (no HD this is just for converting to your analog TV)

They then said that their OEM's would add all that and then include
margins for sales, marketing and distribution bringing the sale price to
$60.

My estimate is more like $125 minimum but everyone there was eating this
up. Why? Because $60 is the magic number that Motorola mentioned
sometime back that they would make receivers for so everyone
automatically and cynically has to match it.

BTW a Motorola rep at the meeting today tried to shout me down by saying
that Motorola has perfect 8-VSB receivers no problem today. Later
talking to him outside he knew nothing.

So the dreaming goes on. If Barton does not get some real world input
his bill will crash and burn, dead on arrival. I was there because I
really would not like that to happen but whenever DC hears anything they
don't like they attack.

Bob Miller