[opendtv] Re: Are there ANY new ATSC Set Top Box - Receivers being made???

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 10:37:34 -0500

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=179095
> Dish DTVPal & Tivo DVRs were new in 2009, using latest chips.

Wow, what a long list. I never saw the majority of those STBs anywhere.

It seems to me that the market for stand-alone STBs dries up quickly if there's
an integrated set mandate, however. So it's not surprising that many of the
units listed would go out of production. Their market could not last too long
after 1 March 2007 (when the integrated tuner mandate went into effect for all
TVs and TV appliances).

It's the PVRs that I'd expect to be available. And these days, probably PVRs
with HD, 8-VSB and clearQAM, and Internet access ought to be the way to go, and
could be produced for far cheaper than the Sony Vaio I salivated over some time
ago (which retailed for $1700!).