[opendtv] Re: Are HD Broadcasts Required by Feb. of 2009

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:46:43 -0400

Steve Wilson wrote:

> I looked the amount of CBS/NBC/ABC content a few months ago
> - each have about 2 hours in the morning and 3 hrs in the
> evening - very roughly - plus they are all going to HD news.
> Not much really. I dont know how affiliates get pd, but I
> have heard that argument that there is little incentive to
> produce in HD because the audience is less. But, if they produce
> in HD, they can distribute HD, SD and analog so I dont see how
> their audience or revenue goes down. Expense is up, sure. If
> they distribute HD only, sure audience is down, but who would
> that?

I think this is typical of a market in transition. Producing in HD, we
were told here, costs only 2 percent more than producing in SD. And it
gives the flexibility, as you say, to transmit in any format.

HD content has been going up steadily. Since I watch almost only prime
time stuff, the vast majority of what I watch is transmitted as HD. Even
though I typically watch a down-res'd DVD recording of it. Yes, I am
definitely looking forward to the day when my recordings will also be
HD.

Same happened with VCRs. At first, time shifting caused a noticeable
loss of image quality. Then S-VHS arrived and that changed. Same is
happening with HDTV.