[opendtv] Re: Anyone been to more than 42 NAB shows?

  • From: Mark Schubin <TVMark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 09:04:45 -0400

My insights will be appearing in Videography magazine, and the Television Broadcast website already has some quick notes of mine.

I'm happy to share what was, to me, the most exciting thing at the show: true live wavefront-reconstruction electronic holography, as demonstrated by Japan's National Institute of Information and Communication Technology (NICT).  The result was, perhaps, the worst, smallest, and hardest-to-see video image I'd encountered in 37 years on the NAB floor, but it can only get better.  I had the sensation of being in John Logie Baird's laboratory in 1925 when he achieved the first video image of a recognizable human face.  Don't look for it as a product anytime soon ("soon" encompassing perhaps the next 20 years).

On a more mundane level, Sony finally has an HDCAM SR camcorder, Panasonic introduced higher-speed, lower-cost P2 cards (matched by other suppliers), though they are also said to have shorter life (still at least five years).  JVC had a 4K camera (inch-and-a-quarter format), of which cinematographer David Stump, ASC, kept repeating, "It's a REAL:4K camera."  Grass Valley has a new high-end production swicher, Kayenne, and Barco has a new mid-range production switcher, FSN.

Among smaller companies, Fusion-io demonstrated its lightning-fast solid-state drive by feeding 1,024 simultaneous video streams from it and displaying them all on a giant wall.  Riedel, previously known for only intercoms, showed MediorNet, a fiber-interconnection scheme that could, in theory, allow a remote truck to pull up to a stadium, connect two fibers, and go on the air.  Sky Dolly is a powered paraglider with remote-control camera.  PortalVideo allows transcript-based, web-based collaborative editing for a subscription fee (somewhat different from the previous MediaSilo); CopyTimer uses the same payment model to do what its name suggests.

Those are just a few items.  JVC's GY-HM700 camcorder, was shown already at the HPA Technology Retreat, and RabbitHoles Media's full-color, full-motion true holograms (neither electronic nor live) were at the retreat but not at NAB.

More later.

TTFN,
Mark

dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Mark Schubin:

I always enjoy your recaps and findings at exhibitions like NAB.  Care to share with us any new technologies and discoveries you might have found last week?  I know you are probably busy writing for publications, so I will look for your insights in the upcoming issues.

Dan Grimes

---------------------------------------------------------------------- You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways: - Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at FreeLists.org - By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the subject line.