[opendtv] Re: ATSC STBs

  • From: John Golitsis <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:16:55 -0500

On 24-Feb-06, at 4:02 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

> No. But I think that an Accurian built with state of the art
> components
> today would sell for that same close-out price, "under $100," *and*
> make
> a profit.

But that's exactly what they were being told at $500.

> That's the point. At that price, they sold very very well.

Yes, but because people realised it was a drastic reduction in
price.  It's the "close-out" mentality.  And who bought them?
Hobbiest/enthusiasts, further saturating the only real market that
exists for these things.

> Yet
> all we see is old technology that works poorly and costs more,
> unadvertized, and frequently out of stock.

They cost more because the big names are distributed by big
distributors that don't make a habit of losing money.  They wait
until the manufacturer lowers the price and credits them for their
existing inventory.  Eventually, if there's a significant amount of
unsold inventory, it will be bought back by the manufacturer and sold
off to a liiquidator.  Then you'll see it at smaller retailers at a
killer price, which will spark a buying frenzy.  But the stock will
only last so long.

> The Digital Streams and Samsungs, at $229 to $249 respectively, are
> not
> being discounted.

I doubt that's true.

> Old, more expensive technology, at old prices, which
> are above what it takes to create strong demand.

Too late.  The bad taste is, and forever will be, in all their mouths.

> All of the still satisfied OTA users out there, with a combination of
> old NTSC CRTs or newer ED/HD monitors they are using for DVDs and OTA
> TV.

Look how long it took YOU to purchase an ATSC receiver!  What's going
to want to make them purchase one?  Only if they NEED one will they
be interested.

> Say, 40 to 70+ million sets, which will be around for several years
> still.

If I'm happily watching TV off-air today, why go ATSC?  A new box...a
new remote...who needs or wants the hassle?

> Or, they could be coerced to a service they don't really want.

It could be ATSC that they are coerced into..."what do you mean I
can't get HBO??!"