[opendtv] Re: A/72 goodies

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:38:18 -0700

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I thought one of the satellite companies was also using 1280x1080i. If so
> I'm surprised that's not one of the accepted new ones.

DirecTV. 1280x1088. And a lot of it is upconverted (just look at the
PQ of showings like SnakeEyes - lower source res than 480p, but
encoded in 'HD' 1280x1088 (complete with 'broadcast in HD' banners
every 5 seconds - sigh).

HDNet was doing the same 1280x1088 last time I looked (MPEG2). In fact
I even wrote Cuban about it ('why is your resolution not what you
advertise it to be') and instead of a 'we'll fix that!' response I got
a 'that's a lie' reply. Well, joke's on him, and anyone else who
thinks they are getting 'true HD' (or whatever the sat Cos are
advertising^H^H^H^H^H hyping their service to be). If there was any
programming worth watching on there (like, newer than 20 years old and
not rebroadcast 365 times a year), I would probably be irate.

But hey, at least its not like Dish where SD is delivered at 480x480
in luminance and R,G are 240x240. Yuck. Ghetto. (have they 'fixed'
this under MPEG4?)

Cheers
Kon