[opendtv] Re: 2.35:1 on 16:9 screen (was: Mobile TV coming of age)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:49:37 -0400

Jeroen wrote:

> It shouldn't be too difficult to write software for controlling
> the scalers to do what you want, but I doubt that our product
> management would see that as a wise move. I could suggest it.

Since there's hope that you might make noise to your management
on this important topic, please count me in with Kon and with
Barry. The user should be able to have the 2.35:1 image cropped
to fit within the 16:9 screen, *without* distorting the image.
The best would probably be to do this with pan and scan, but
if not, the user should be able to tell the TV to simply chop
off the overhang.

Same goes for 4:3 displays. The effects can be bad when the
mismatch is severe, but the user should still be able to decide.

It seems that when using a 16:9 TV these days, the vast majority
of what is seen is distorted. I understand that the human brain
has incredible abilities to compensate for this, but it's
annoying to be forced to accept either distortion or black bars
(which risk burn-in problems).

Thanks, Jeroen.