[opendtv] Re: 2.35:1 on 16:9 screen (was: Mobile TV coming of age)

  • From: "Barry Wilkins" <Barry.Wilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:32:53 +1200

Jeroen,

Please excuse a degree of naivety and ignorance on my part. I am not
familiar with picture encoding for DVD. Therefore what follows is
presumption.

Regarding the availability of 16:9 content, I mean pan and scan, ie.
16:9 non letterboxed. We do not get a lot of this format here,(New
Zealand). So, my understanding is, the DVDs are encoded with a
widescreen image to preserve the theatrical aspect. This I presume,
means that data bits are used only where there is picture information.
To then expand this 2.35:1 aspect information to fill a 16:9 screen
proportionally will I imagine reduce the resolution dramatically because
for the screens dimensions there is a large loss of mainly horizontal
pixel information.

Cheers
Barry