[opendtv] Re: 20040830 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "Barry Wilkins" <Barry.Wilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:58:06 +1200

My choice of a 42" plasma was for several reasons. Firstly, I needed a
size screen that would comfortably fit in my lounge and still be
presentable to my wife. Secondly, of the images of any kind I have seen
from rear projection, front projection DLP and LCD technology, only a
front projection DLP image I saw from an NZ$9000 machine looked
sufficiently better to complicate the choice. As I have no Home Theatre
dedicated room, and the lounge is not the darkest of environments, the
DLP choice went out the door. The Philips 42" ALiS screen is a "last of
line model" and was NZ$7400 with a whole pile of goodies thrown in. I
knew that the NZ replacement for this model has not the same resolution
capability but is as pricey as the DLP projector. Of the range of other
plasma displays I saw, only one looked comparably impressive due to it's
depth of contrast, and that was a Panasonic 42" model. It was over
NZ$1000 dearer. I made a decision that should HD DVDs arrive here in the
near future then the ALiS screen may make a better job comared to
alternative Plasmas of similar price. I couldn't wait any longer to find
out if there was better technology/pricing on the horizon.(Which there
surely will be). I had put up with what the wife thought was a splendid
20" screen watched from a distance that nearly needed binoculars to see
adequately.

So, not perfection but I am adequately impressed with the image so far.
Note: I use the screen more specifically to watch DVDs.

Barry Wilkins    =20

From: "Barry Wilkins" <Barry.Wilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> It is even more annoying that practically all sales people do not
> appreciate what HD or SD is, or even what makes a good display versus
> bad one.

That's definitely not something specific to NZ!

> The problem here, and I feel it may apply elsewhere, is that the
> customers requirement is predominantly for a "large screen" more so
than
> a quality picture, because they do not know what constitutes a "good"
> picture. Invariably, sales staff will oversaturate the colour on
> demonstrations.

It's not even that.  The customer requirement is simply for a "cool"
screen.=20
Quality and even size are secondary concerns.  I'm curious to know what
criteria=20
led you to purchase a 42" ED Plasma display?  There are certainly bigger
screens=20
with higher resolution and lower price available.

=20
=20