[opendtv] Re: 20040830 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "Barry Wilkins" <Barry.Wilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 16:52:14 +1200

Nevertheless, you indicated effectively that cable companies by way of
having multiple channels will have less concern for the particular
quality of each one. To quote you: "who cares about one channel when you
are distributing
dozens?" =20

I can only presume it is not an issue for you people. Perhaps you do not
get the huge delay (100 to 200ms) that I have experienced. I can get
used to a degree of mismatch but extreme mismatch is very distracting.

What I am trying to say is it was never an issue (that I recall) when
analog recording, transmission and display was the norm. Now the use of
digital technology has apparently made a step backwards in the end
result to the observer. That it does not have to be so does not correct
the problem. The mechanism is there according to you, to correct this,
but is not always implemented for whatever reason.

What then is considered "progress" in TV technology? Surely, getting
synchronization right (automatically) would be a significant
achievement?

Barry Wilkins =20