[opendtv] Re: 1080P Question

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 20:07:09 -0400

Mike Tsinberg wrote:

> In that case I see a motion problem. If original
> film is captured with 24 frames/sec and converted
> to 1080p/60 frames/sec for display - the motion
> will have 2/3 pull down type of motion jitter. On
> the other hand 24 frames/sec film displayed at 72
> Hz or 96 Hz will not have such problems. So what
> is the point to display 1080p/60 in the movie
> theater?

So, would 1080p60 be adequate as a digital cinema standard? I keep seeing
references to much higher pixel counts for digital cinema, like 4000 X 2000,
but would 1080p60 be sufficient?

I paid attention during movies, and determined that the viewing angle is
greater than it is at home, watching my 42" 768p set from my normal seating
position. So that suggests 768p60 might not be enough. Given that Mark Schubin
is shooting 1080i or 1080p24 and getting away with it quite well in movie
theaters, anything wrong with 1080p60 as a capture format for cinema?