[opendtv] Re: 050615 Wolfsson's Wednesday Words (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 07:12:20 -0400

>Since I have the luxury of being able to see the humor in
>this, I practically fell off my chair laughing when I read
>this. Hilarious. "You offer to move up the 100 percent date?
>Okay, thanks! Next item on the agenda?"\

What's so funny Bert?

The CEA had a legitimate argument. Given the choice, consumers have
been opting for sets WITHOUT the integrated tuners. What's really
funny is that it is not consumers, but the retailers who are driving
this. They decide what to put into inventory, and given the choice,
CE retailers are choosing to offer the models without the tuners.

In essence, nothing has changed. Come July you will still be able to
buy cheap TVs with NTSC tuners. We are now getting into the territory
where the highest volumes of sets are sold - hardly anyone is going
to buy the more expensive sets with integrated ATSC tuners. The CE
industry will still be able to sell cheap NTSC only TVs through the
crucial holiday buying season. And don't be surprised if CE retailers
stock up on NTSC sets just in advance of the new deadline. The real
impact will not be felt until the fall of 2006.

By the way Bert, smaller sets with integrated tuners have been
available for at least a year. They can't give them away because you
cannot see much improvement in picture quality on sets that are
smaller than 27 inch diagonal, but you can see the fact that they
cost $200-500 more than equivalent screen sizes for NTSC receivers.

>But in truth, it would have made sense to give the 5th gen
>receivers a chance to get integrated first, rather than
>have this initial 50 percent of sets with iffy receivers
>give OTA reception a bad reputation.

Why? What difference is this going to make? People may be forced to
buy sets with integrated receivers, but the government can't force
people to use those tuners.  What makes you believe that putting a
good tuner versus a cheap tuner into a lower cost TV is going to make
any difference?

For the vast majority of these sets that tuner will NEVER be used,
and the CE folks know this.

The reality is that it IS possible for most people to receive OTA DTV
if they are willing to go to the effort to do what is necessary to
make it work. Most people will not go to the effort, as they gave up
on OTA decades ago.