[opendtv] Re: 050615 Wolfsson's Wednesday Words (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 16:51:32 -0400

It is now 2009. Analog is turned off. The auctions have happened and the
new owners of channels from 52 to 69 have plans. Much of the world has
mobile DTV at least on cell phones but there are millions of other
devices with larger screens also. Sales of such devices are going
bonkers in Europe and Asia. Qualcomm has rolled out its service in some
areas like S. California and Florida where they were successful in
tuning off co and adjacent broadcasters (modified from todays plans) and
similar hoopla is starting in cites in the US. It looks to be much
bigger than iPod.

HD is booming in Europe and Asia where the Chinese 2008 Olympics were a
mind blowing eye opener to parochial America that the Bush
administration has had its eye on the wrong balls for two terms. The
Chinese served up HDTV of the Olympics with their own modulation that
does mobile and HD better than DVB-T or ISDB-T. Korean, Chinese and
Japanese manufacturers flood the Olympics with mobile DTV receivers.
HDTV large screens blanket the Olympics.

Back in the US broadcasters are still stuck with 8-VSB and MPEG2.
Broadcasters had pushed for multicast must carry but in a stunning
decision the Supreme court has just struck down all must carry 4 to 5.

Broadcasters stage a violent demonstration in front of and then in the
halls of Congress screaming we have been had. They demand immediate
hearings on the state of the ongoing stagnate OTA DTV transition since
without it they are nothing but impotent content providers to cable and
satellite. They demand an immediate change in modulation and compression
codec so that they can compete in the modern world.

In the ensuing hearings Congress discusses how much money they might
garner from new age broadcasters in auctions if they sell of channels
2-51 as OTA licenses expire.

Bob Miller