[openbeosnetteam] Re: [openbeos] Re: Mailing lists and network team questions

  • From: Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:33:04 +0100

Quoting Joseph Liu <froseph@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
> I have been thinking about helping out with the network stack for a
> while, and this weekend I finally got a chance to look at some code.

... and your still wanting to help us?
Woa. I'm impressed.
We need you!
;-)

> > This is a quick TODO list:
> > * analyze if we can get DragonFly's netstack ported (easly!)
>
> If we have a threading model like DragonFly's it would be easier,

Beos/Haiku offer a "lightweight threading model" like *but* not compatible with
DragonFly's lwkt. And as for I know, under BeOS/Haiku the threading model is
the same for both kernel and userland (space switches aside).
But I don't know much more about lwkt than any osnews.com lurkers could :-\

> otherwise it we would have to port essentially all of to lwkt api to
> our equivilent representation. Dragonfly has only made some sections
> of the network stack parallel, and added some serialization.

Oh. So that's not much more threaded than the current FreeBSD stack, then?

> If we arn't using their threading model, it might be better to follow
> FreeBSD net stack, but the simplicity of the DragonFly lwkt is really
> nice :).

Could you tell us more about lwtk?
Some sample code to show its easy/better to use?
Maybe it could help us to estimate if a quick wrapper emulating lwkt under
BeOS/Haiku could be written. Or not.

> I still need to read more Haiku code, but it we need to have
> uio, mbufs, sockets and all the stuff which makes up the transport and
> network layers. Any one have any thoughts/opinions?

The current stack code have already many of these beasts under
src/add-ons/kernel/network/core/*, so it's not a port stopper. Not that I'm
used to all these BSD networkishes that much myself...
I never understand what uio was really about, btw. Do you know?

> I'm still reading some source so if there is anything wrong/missing,
> feel free to correct me.

So far it's good ;-)

- Philippe