[openbeosnetteam] Re: [openbeos] Re: Mailing lists and network team questions

  • From: "Joseph Liu" <froseph@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:06:32 -0500

Hi,
I have been thinking about helping out with the network stack for a
while, and this weekend I finally got a chance to look at some code.

> The team page has all useful links to get started:
> http://haiku-os.org/contribute.php?mode=team_view&id=networking
>
> Please sign up to our team's mailing list. Our wiki contains more useful
> information, but some of it is not absolutely correct/up-to-date (e.g.:
> it's not clear whether we'll port DragonFly's or FreeBSD's netstack).
> http://haiku-os.org/wiki/index.php?title=Networking
>
> This is a quick TODO list:
> * analyze if we can get DragonFly's netstack ported (easly!)
If we have a threading model like DragonFly's it would be easier,
otherwise it we would have to port essentially all of to lwkt api to
our equivilent representation. Dragonfly has only made some sections
of the network stack parallel, and added some serialization. If we
arn't using their threading model, it might be better to follow
FreeBSD net stack, but the simplicity of the DragonFly lwkt is really
nice :). I still need to read more Haiku code, but it we need to have
uio, mbufs, sockets and all the stuff which makes up the transport and
network layers. Any one have any thoughts/opinions?

> How much development experience do you have?

Took an os class last semester- wrote a small unixy kernel in the end.

> If you think that this is too big for you, I *might* have a few web
> development tasks (if the other Haiku devs are not against this). You'd
> have to use Ruby on Rails, though.
>
> Bye,
> Waldemar

I'm still reading some source so if there is anything wrong/missing,
feel free to correct me.

Cheerio,
Joe