[openbeosnetteam] Re: Dragonfly or FreeBSD nestack? was Re: Mailing lists and network team questions

  • From: Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:17:40 +0100

> Hi, I've been following the list a while and some may know me from Firefox /
> Mozilla for BeOS. I'm not 'good' at network-programming, but the topic
> interests me. Joseph, I must say you are doing a very good job at explaining
> the difference of the stacks.

Yep, I feel the same, thanks Joseph, it's very helpfull.

> My thougths:
> * A port of lwkt should probably be discussed with the kernel-team. With
> proper support in the kernel it might be very nice.

Agreed. But I fear it's not the priority and a network stack port is hardly a
reason to expand/change the whole threading model in the kernel...

> * Could we replace the use of lwkt with calls to current API completly or is
> lwkt used everywhere in the stack?

Joseph, if I've well understood your lwkt presentation, lwkt calls are not
everywhere in the dragonfly net stack code and placing here and there some
inter-thread locking mechanism could be enough?
From what I read of FreeBSD stack, that would be pretty much the same case too.

> Also on more practical things:
> Wasn't there a specific branch in the Haiku SVN where a new network-stack
> was checked in? Should we set up some branch with the stack (of our choice)
> so we can start hacking on it.

Axel Dörfler created a branch for us/me last summer when I hoped to find time to
start such port. It's under branches/team/network/freebsd_stack:

http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/haiku/haiku/branches/team/network/freebsd_stack

- Philippe Houdoin