[olofsonprojects] Re: kobodeluxe in OpenEmbedded

  • From: Robert Schuster <theBohemian@xxxxxxx>
  • To: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 02:18:50 +0100

Hi David.

David Olofson schrieb:
>> However I have seen that there was already an attempt to bring Kobo
>> to Maemo. However no sourcecode has been released and I am sure that
>> a bit of porting is neccessary.
>
> I don't know about the details, but the game relies only on SDL and a
> few POSIX calls that seem to be available pretty much everywhere.
> glSDL is optional. Platforms without POSIX style user accounts might
> need some #ifdefs (similar to what's done for Win32), but the code
> should be there.
Compilation worked like a charm thanks to autotools. Thats not the issue.

The real issue is that with a device having less (or no) keys, no
joystick and most often only a touch screen game control has to be
rethought a bit. :)

>> My kobo binary displays no text
>
> Workaround for now: Try setting the "depth" option ("Display Depth" in
> the menues, "depth" in the config file and -depth on the command
> line) to some other value than 0 (Default).
Have tried it but it does not work. This is how it looks btw:
http://scap.linuxtogo.org/files/0b3b8a00e81831f3f058e837f9d9ed01.png

> Input is going to be fully configurable eventually, but platforms
> without normal keyboards would still need special default mappings.

> So, patches are welcome! The information will be useful in some form
> no matter what.
Sure, I will have a look at that.

> If any other changes are needed, I'd definitely prefer to have them
> merged in, as long as we're not talking about major changes that
> cause maintenance issues. (I don't even have any hand held devices to
> test on as of now.)
I will try kobo on the neo1973 (openmoko's free phone). Additional fun:
It has only two keys and a touch screen. :)

> Hopefully though, integer based processing and IFFT synthesis (instead
> of the current brute force "spectrum" oscillator banks) should speed
> things up enough that caching isn't required on anything that's fast
> enough to render the game playable.
That would be good for embedded-cpus without fpu. The N800/N810s have
such a thing however. :)

Regards
Robert