[ola] grammar and English use in classroom

  • From: JoAnna Coleman <joannac@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 23:57:08 +0000

Hey OWLers - I just had a conversation with the 3rd year teacher who teaches
the kids I had in 2nd year last year - she has said over and over again how the
kids speaking and listening proficiency is so much higher than in years past,
but today she said that they don't "know" a lot of stuff, when I asked her to
be more specific, she said when it comes to regular tests (ie. verb conjugation
tests on paper) that they don't do well and when she talks about things (ie.
stem-changing verbs) they don't know what she's talking about.

This is frustrating for me on many levels, I don't want my kids to feel like
they don't "know" something when they go to a new teacher (or to college)

 The other day I spent 10 minutes going over in English with my second year
kids a couple of grammar points We have been talking about our daily routines
(me lavo el pelo vs. lavo el coche vs. te lavo el pelo, tu vs te vs ti,
etc...). I told them that in a traditional classroom, they would go over the
grammar first, learn the rules and then practice, where as in our class, we
hear it and practice it first until it "sounds" right and then look behind the
curtains at the grammar. That way, they don't need to worry about memorizing a
rule that will soon be forgotten, since the language is already internalized.

 I opened it up to any nagging questions they had about language structure as
well. (what if I say "Me lavo mi pelo"? brought up a really good comparison of
someone learning English saying "I like the pop music") it was actually a
really great conversation and a lot of stuff came up.

I think I may need to do a little English moment every couple of weeks - make
it part of the routine, something they can expect is going to happen, but not
on a daily basis.

What are your thoughts on this? Do any of you do this or something similar? Do
you do English days or moments?

JoAnna Coleman
Spanish Teacher
Wilson High School