[ola] Re: Trust Falls - Help!

  • From: Cathy Bird <mcwathbird@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 11:58:19 -0700

I had a similar problem with one of two classes last year. There just wasn't
enough trust there to do any trust activities. I was lucky, though, in that
when I said no to their suggestion to try in/out trust circle, that seemed to
make them want it more. They would beg and I would explain that 'I' didn't
trust them. That led to what did I see... and so I modeled some of the
untrustworthy behavior in a light way so as not to nail any individual too
much.

Around that time I started doing evals of OWL skills every few weeks. Students
did a self assessment, sometimes providing an example, and then I went over it
in a different ink. I used it as a grade and a few of the kids failed the first
time; talk about a wake-up call. I would also pull kids aside for a reminder of
what they need to be working on when they were reviewing vocab or doing a
reading activity.

ORGANIC CLASSROOM - LEARNING SKILLS
EVAL

   everyday

   mostly

   sometimes

   mostly

   every day

  Silent
  or in mostly English

  Lots of French and/or sounds

  Indifferent
  "whatever"

  Supportive
  "you
  can do it"

  Reluctant
  to get involved in circle or pair activity.

  Active Drawing. Miming. Acting. Engaged.

  Checked out when meaning is unclear.

  Infer meaning. until proven differently.

  Give up when communication is difficult

  Circumlocute: use what you know to say what
  you don't.

  Afraid of trying or afraid of failing.

  Taking risks and failing fabulously.

  Concerned with self and with getting/doing
  what you want. Side convos.

  Concerned about the group and doing what the
  group needs.

  Laughing at peers or mocking their efforts.

  Laughing at self and at humor of the group.

  Disregard for speaker. Not listening to
  others.

  Respectful and attentive. Good listener.

There were three of my ten students who really needed to open up in order to be
trusted. One was your typical, unpredictable, impulsive boy who thought
everything was funny. The other two were girls who just didn't trust anyone
outside of their clique.

Warren, you are doing great things and are so good at reflection. Once this
disappointment wears off, envision what you want to see more of from this class
and don't be shy about using repetition of earlier activities to get there. The
Spanish can still move forward, but the circle activities that we do are
scaffolded in a way that students have to earn the privilege.

Cathy Bird
1354 S. Pearl St.
Denver, CO  80210
e:  mcwathbird@xxxxxxxxxxx
c:  303.995.3425

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 13:20:00 -0500
Subject: [ola] Re: Trust Falls - Help!
From: heidihewitt13@xxxxxxxxx
To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,
I had a hard time getting my students back into the swing of things after break
and they were really not being good about paying attention/staying in Spanish.
I broke out the writing the ESPANOL on the board and erasing a letter when
English was spoken rule. It quieted them down REMARKABLY. I recommend this if
the problem is English. Talking about how you're going to suffer if others
speak English and emphasizing the phrases of "No English" "Attack," etc. is
important. Students yell at each other and then get afraid of being yelled at
and keep themselves in Spanish much more readily. Then it's not me yelling at
them, it's them against each other.
As far as the trust fall, I haven't done it. I think this might be a tough
activity for them to do even in English. A different setting might help. I only
really remember doing this as part of a ropes course and we were outside.
On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Martin Kathryn <kmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have to chime in—this year has been much more challenging than last year with
the use of English in class and lack of participation.  Anything you all have
 to suggest would be greatly appreciated!