[ola] Re: Suggestions and input

  • From: Troy Longstroth <troy_longstroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:34:10 -0800

Jody,

Good questions.  I have a lot of the same ones in my classes, especially as
I reflect and try to improve to start this new semester.

My routine is basically going to be as follows.  Of course, there are a lot
of days when it would flex greatly, but it gives me a structure.  I have 50
minute classes:

1.  Written warmup in notebook.  (5-10 minutes).  We have 2 campuses and
some kids come in a bit late, so this allows the ones that are on time to
get started on something useful.  Late kids will have to makeup warmups on
their own time.  I'll post the prompts online.

2.  Circle- Greetings, vocabulary review, partner conversations, rhythm
games, etc. (~20 minutes)  No notebooks.

3.  Additional activity- breakout groups, pairs, or individual.  Reading,
games, skits, etc.  (~15 minutes)

4.  Wrap up- kids record new vocabulary on the board and in their
notebooks.  Homework/writing prompt assigned, as needed.

I do have chairs in my room stacked against the wall.  We use them for some
games, but not daily.  During warmups and other journal times, I just have
kids sit on the floor.  My room has carpet.  Chairs wouldn't hurt, but it's
extra time to get them out and put them away.

I too feel like we generate and record a LOT of vocabulary, but don't
review it enough.  One of my goals this year is to slow down and repeat
more so that it is actually internalized, instead of just "covered."

I hope that helps a little bit.

Troy

Troy Longstroth
Spanish and Outdoor Recreation Teacher