[ola] Re: Successful sub plan

  • From: "Vinchattle, BreAnne" <bvinchattle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 19:17:53 +0000

Emily,

Thanks for the sub plan! You rock.  I have one to share too.

Hey peeps,

I created this packet of activities for vocabulary and writing development to
be used when I have a sub. The students hear authentic language from a movie of
their choice.  I used it for both Spanish I and II.  I reviewed the
instructions the day before I left and did examples, instructions are in
Spanish on the packet.

I told my students they can use the structure and activities for completing Sé
motivado (semester project) time outside of class too.

Notes for the sub...

Movie Prep

a.     Take out packet.  Get a whiteboard to write on.  Borrow pencils for a
piece of collateral (shoe, keys, headphones)

b.     Convert circle to a horseshoe.

c.      Start getting the technology turned on and figure out. Ask for a
student helper if needed.

d.     Have different students review the instructions for each section in
Spanish while you or other students set up the movie.

e.     Have a student leader ask the class which movie they want. Leader should
guide a vote. Majority wins.  Needs to be the same movie, both days.

f.      Remind them the packet needs to be completed by Friday.  Is worth 30
points.

g.     Start movie.  Start activities in packet.

h.     Sit with them in the horseshoe formation.  Walk around and monitor their
progress.  Please LISTEN FOR EXTENSIVE ENGLISH USE.  One or two words is less
of a big deal, but open speaking of English is not okay.

i.       Stop the movie periodically and have them work through sections of the
packet for maybe 5-15 minutes.  You be the judge.  They will need to use and
share dictionaries.  They may get up at this time also and ask other groups for
help or ask the class for help.  Allow them to use the board if they need.
State that they may not sit and chat with their buddies during this time and
encourage them to stay away from their friends to prevent getting off task and
speaking English.

j.       Mark the ending point in minutes and by chapter for each period.
Start the next day where they left off.

BreAnne Vinchattle
Spanish 1 & 2
Tigard High School