[ola] Successful sub plan

  • From: Emily Gerstner <emilygerstner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 15:03:46 -0400

I left this activity when I was for students when I was out the other day
and I was pretty pleased about it. I've attached the document as an
example. Directions are in English, but I think it is very possible to
write them in the TL, I just didn't want any confusion when I wasn't there
to help.

 The idea is for students to complete and also create word searches that
are based on descriptions of the words, rather than the words themselves or
translations. On the first side, I wrote descriptions of recent vocabulary
words, and used an online word search generator to put the vocabulary words
in a word search. This makes the word search fairly difficult because
students spend some time considering what the word might be, then look for
it.

On the other side, students make their own word search. They choose vocab
words to describe, write them in a blank grid, and fill in the rest of the
grid with random letters.

This activity took most of my students the entire 50-minute class period,
some finished in 40 minutes. The best part is, you can then copy their word
searches for homework assignments, extra credit, or fun review, and they
really seem to like doing a worksheet that was entirely created by their
peers.