[ola] Re: Subjunctive

  • From: Eliza Pfeifer <epfeifer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 07:32:17 -0600

I have also used WEIRDO.  This seems to help the students grasp the idea
that there are triggers in the first clause that require the subjunctive.
Although, when it came time to use the structures in context I have
generally tied it to relationships.  Students watch a talk show without
sound and then write a dialog and act it out.  Sometimes we compare their
dialogs to the real one, sometimes not.  Where the subjunctive comes in is
the talk show host and audience members have to give advice and make
comments. This could be written or oral or a mixture of the both, depending
on students.

I have also done dear abby situations.  Students brainstorm all sorts of
relationship problems romantic or not. They then write a dear abby letter,
give it to another student and that student responds.

Oh yes, I almost forgot, we have also tied it to health.  Some one has a
medical problem and needs advice from the doctor.  Students have also wrote
about their diets and health habits, read others and then given their
opinions on the general well being of a classmate.  Again all opinions and
advice try to use subjunctive.

--
*Eliza Pfeifer*
Spanish Teacher