[ola] Re: Students constructing understanding of grammar

  • From: Caleb Zilmer <caleb_zilmer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 16:51:52 -0500

There is a significant body of research on "syllabus" and "universal grammar"
(the last mostly from Noam Chomsky, and which TPRS'rs really get behind, though
I understand the theory has also been deeply criticized). They both deal with
the idea that there is a pre-set series of grammar structures in the brain (as
far as I understand the theory), and that those structures are acquired in a
predictable order at different stages of language proficiency.

For example, in English definite articles (a, an, the) are one of the last
things acquired (with any degree of accuracy). I have heard the question asked:
Why, then, is that one of the first things we teach to English language
learners?

I don't know to what extent these syllabi have been mapped for different
languages, but if you want to learn more of some of this theory these terms
would be a good place to start...

Enviado desde el iPhone de Caleb Zilmer