[ola] Re: Students constructing understanding of grammar

  • From: Lori Leedy <lori.leedy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 11:57:04 -0700

I agree completely. It's so very interesting that each class gets to
different concepts in grammar at different times. It is imperative that we
attempt to give our classes freedom to get there when they get there, and
then to give them what they need to challenge just enough, and then give
them ample opportunities to practice authentically. The struggle comes when
we want all of our classes to be doing roughly the same thing, for prep and
organization. I teach ELD and Spanish 2,3 and 4... so my prep is mainly to
choose a game, a speaking strategy, a writing activity and to do 'circle'
(vocab and community). Then I can just tweak those based on each class for
grammar, needs, etc.  Specific reading and practice is the only thing I
change for each level and language. Hope this helps someone out there! :)

--

*Lori Leedy*English Language Development/Spanish
Crater Renaissance Academy