[ola] Re: Sentence Frames

  • From: Nanosh Lucas <nanoshlucas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 23:40:53 -0800

Thanks so much for this, Ruth.

I share your curiosity as well as your skepticism. My curiosity is: where do
sentence frames fit into students learning Spanish? My skepticism is the same:
do they add value to the learning without taking away the authentic nature of
our conversations, which is what would really drive them.

I started this sentence frame thing in response to students asking for the
“glue” that sticks sentences together. I have Spanish 1 & 2 students; my 2’s
are the students asking for this. They respond in the typical novice-mid
learning to be novice-high - anywhere from grunts and shrugs to complete
sentences, but when attempting to tackle the kinds of questions you put forth
below, will always answer verbally at the level they are at. Typically what I
will do in that case is give them a way of responding that is just beyond
wherever they are. For example:

Ex: 1
Teacher: ¿Cómo estás?
Student: Bien.
Teacher: ¡Yo estoy bien! (Maybe I model this a bunch of times until I start to
hear it - then it might go up on the board: “Yo estoy ______ fill-in-the-blank”

Results: Students simply stay at whatever level they are at when re-queried .
Typically more practice speaking brings them to complete sentences, and when I
ask them to use them.

Ex: 2
Teacher: ¿Prefieres Mac o PC?
Student: PC!!!
Teacher: ¿Por qué?
Student: Me gusta. PC es bueno. Mac es malo.
Teacher: ¿Por qué es bueno el PC?
Student: …
Teacher puts up T chart and starts soliciting input on pros & cons.
Teacher: Ahora, ¿por qué es mejor el PC?
Student: Apps, muy útil, menos dinero, superior, me gusta, mejores juegos
At this point, I try to stretch their language with a quick frame:
Yo prefiero _______ porque son _______.

I then might look for a way to organize the general items that would come up:
Cuesta más/menos, Tiene mejores juegos., etc.

Ex: 3
Teacher: ¿Quién es Mandela?
Student: Es famoso. Muy importante. Africano. ¿Cómo se dice “peace”?
Teacher: “Peace”? No entiendo.
Student holds up symbol for peace.
Teacher: Ah. ¡La PAZ!
Rinse, lather, repeat.

So far, I’ve found there is little direct correlation between creating with the
language and sentence frames, though at the level I’m at (Spanish 2 -
novice-mid level seeking novice high) I might not expect that. That said, I
haven’t really noticed any increase in text type by using sentence frames when
applied to different contexts, but I feel that I haven’t had enough time to
measure it. I tend to agree with you, though - less authentic sounding, and
students have trouble applying to other contexts.

Sentence/paragraph frames seemed to me logical because they have made so much
headway in ELL classes and are a large part of SIOP/Constructing meaning
strategies that have a good deal of research backing them. That said, I do find
that they can sound stilted in the same way when you are running a group
meeting, and you notice students acting without respect, so you give them a
frame in order to help them be more polite to one another ("I want to thank
_____ for his powerful/interesting comments; however, I would add that
_________." … instead of: ("You’re dumb!”).

I think at least for a written exercise it is helpful for students to see a
model or produce one with a measure of accuracy. I’m curious if it helps push
them, at least on paper, to be able to do more. Does the knowledge sit there
and someday come to fruition? I was using this idea mainly for a presentational
piece - practiced, edited, prepared.

Something I tried today was a simple number game in Spanish 1 - Yo pienso de un
número entre ______ y _______. We went around the circle and counted up to 100,
with folks who messed up moving to a second circle and starting over again.
Then, I modeled the game for them, and we played several rounds. Because of our
short periods, only one of my Spanish 1 classes had a chance to practice using
the frame in partners/small groups. I’ll come back tomorrow to see if they
where able to use it.To make sure they understood the game, I acted out pensar,
and I did a bunch of checks with numbers and people to make sure they
understood “entre.” (¿Quién está entre Bob y Rita? ¿Cuál número está entre 7 y
9?)  In the future, if NO students are able to apply ANYTHING they learned to a
new context:

Example: ¿Cuál es una parte del cuerpo que está entre la mano y el hombro?

Do I then say the frame was a waste of time?

I am definitely going to be checking out Arnold Bleicher’s webinar on moving
students from the novice to intermediate level; it was advertised on ACTFL’s
webinar page yesterday. I’m sure looking at that would have shortened this
sprawling email.

I’m interested in the idea you have below - it does allow for the teacher to
simply hold the space for students to create. Are you thinking about a question
bank, a template for asking questions, or both? Combined with the question box
idea, you could have a number of tiered questions ready to go for students and
use them in a ton of different ways.

Thanks,

Nanosh