[ola] Question asking

  • From: "Gmail" <inashland@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 09:10:34 -0600

Good call, Amanda. The "favorite" question is a good one to watch out for - And
Nanosh, you mentioned the segue, or follow up. Really important. Opening the
questions up a little, allowing for the creation of language rather than just
yes/no either/or responses, is critical. For example:

¿Qué sueles comer en la noche?
(Follow Up) - Dime más de tu rutina después de comer la cena.

This is a linked follow-up that even lower level kids can do and then they get
used to the follow-up idea.

And especially you can model follow-up with the class, asking the questions
with kids, comparing and contrasting differences and similarities of (i.e.)
routines, even allowing for kids to follow up with more questions or comments.

Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 12:05 AM
To: ola digest users
Subject: ola Digest V3 #28

ola Digest      Tue, 28 Jan 2014        Volume: 03  Issue: 028

In This Issue:
                [ola] Re: Follow-up questions...
                [ola] Re: Follow-up questions...
                [ola] Re: Follow-up questions...
                [ola] Re: OWL group in Portland, OR
                [ola] OWL gem of the day!

From: Amanda Miller <AMiller@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ola] Re: Follow-up questions...
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:14:37 +0000

A word of caution with "favorita"- I have trouble as an adult, in English,
naming my favorite anything. I can list of foods, activities, and TV shows that
I like, but choosing a favorite is hard! That being said, I've had success with
my students using "Cuál es una actividad que te gusta?". It feels more open and
not the end-all-be-all of what the students like to do.
Amanda Miller
Division 1.3 Spanish Teacher
The Francis W. Parker Charter Essential School & Sizer Teachers Center Devens,
Massachusetts AMiller@xxxxxxxxxx ________________________________
From: Nanosh Lucas <nanoshlucas@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 05:36:09 -0800

This is also a great natural segue into different types of responses, such as,
“No tengo actividad favorita, pero me gusta…” “Yo tengo/me gustan muchas
actividades; por ejemplo, …” etc.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 08:01:53 -0800
From: "Jody Soberon" <JodySo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

How about just adding when prodding for more info after finding out how many
activities they like or don´t like,  ¿Tienes una actividad favorita?

Foreign Languages
Brookings Harbor High School

From: "Vinchattle, BreAnne" <bvinchattle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ola] Re: OWL group in Portland, OR
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 00:21:35 +0000

Hi!
I'm an OWLer for life.  If you`re interested in meeting up or starting a group,
I think that would be great.  Here my phone if you want to call or text me more
info about where you´re at and what levels you teach,

701.527.3479

Srta. Caro

BreAnne Vinchattle
Spanish 1 & 2
Tigard High School
________________________________
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 21:34:50 -0500
Subject: [ola] OWL gem of the day!
From: Stel Schmalz <sschmalz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Today in my 6th grade class (1st years), as we were going over vocabulary, one
kid interrupts me to ask me "Que es zanahoria de hielo?",  Hmmmm  I ask him to
repeat b/c I don't get it but another kid figured it out and added "en la casa"
at which point a few others got it and were all saying "si, si" and adding,
agua, mucho frio, hielo, casa, zanahoria!
Finally I figured it out-  they were all circumlocuting "icicle".  We then had
a great time learning the word "Carambano"!  When would you ever teach that
word in a regular/non-OWL class?

So much fun!  I love OWL!

Stel

End of ola Digest V3 #28