[ola] Re: Logistics of assessing speaking in class

  • From: Amanda Miller <AMiller@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 17:20:43 +0000

I spread out the rubrics on my desk, and listen in as much as possible. I check
off what I hear the students saying (asking questions, memorized phrases,
series of sentences...). Usually I can assess the more advanced students more
quickly, and then spend most of the class capturing what the middle of the pack
and lower producing students are saying. It usually takes the whole hour. I
rotate the students around to different pairings or groups of threes with
different prompts each time. I'm sure to leave the prompts open (what's your
family like? etc.) so that they can say as much as they can. In most cases,
towards the end of the hour, I find myself needing to hear more from a few
students, so I call them over and we have a small group conversation together
as I try to pull something out of them.

I have attached the rubric I have used. It's a bit wordy, but it gives the
students a lot of feedback. It comes from the ACFTL Performance Guidelines. I
give the students structured time to read the feedback, and then have them
write 3 things they can do on the back as a reflection. Hope this helps!

-Amanda

Amanda Miller
Division 1.3 Spanish Teacher
The Francis W. Parker Charter Essential School &
Sizer Teachers Center
Devens, Massachusetts
AMiller@xxxxxxxxxx