[ola] Group Speaking Assessment for quick, formative data

  • From: Ricardo Linnell <hurricanetumbao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 16:24:10 -0800

Hello Everyone,

I hope you are enjoying your Sunday. I had an idea that I wanted to share
that I felt would be beneficial to you.

I have often struggled with what I felt would be ideas that would allow me
to collect the appropriate amount of data on my students speaking-wise, so
as to be able to justify what major level (or how close) I think they are
at. I am sure many of you have had the same challenges. I tried this idea
and it helped me to collect data, so here it is:

1. I got the students in groups of 3 (triangles), all facing into the
circle. It was in fact 2 circles, with one student per group on the inner
circle, while two others were winging the front student in an outer layer
of the circle, but all facing in towards the middle of the circle.

2. I gave the students a very broad topic (problems at ________ high
school.) and I explained (in L2) that a running clock would be going for
20:00. The purpose of this assessment was for the students to discuss the
topic in a Socratic format, but each time a student made an original
comment or idea at sentence level discourse, the group of 3 was to rotate
and a new person would enter the conversation. There was no dictated order
in which students had to respond. It was all based on who raised their hand
first or commented after someone was finished with their comment. I also
explained to them that if I heard a repeat of a prior comment, I would ask
a follow-up question or disallow the comment, meaning that the particular
group would not be able to rotate. The emphasis for this format was to
encourage original ideas at sentence-level discourse, OR, to have students
ADD to the comments of others with new information, but in complete
sentences. The rotation assured that students participated, so that their
group members would be able to contribute as well. I had about 13-14
triangles in a socratic circle and all but 2 were rotating regularly, as
the ability to comment presented itself. There were about 80-100 comments
made on topic during the 20 minutes of speaking time. It was incredible.
Halfway through, I gave them an additional piece which was to include
solutions to the problems discussed in the 20 minute period.

What I have decided to do with the 4-6 kids (out of 40) who didn't get a
chance to speak is to follow up with them and give them a series of 3-4
questions that will allow them the opportunity to discuss the topic, but
with me. That way I will get to hear them as well.

Though this did not allow for me to be able to give actual points for each
comment, what it did do was give me the BIG picture on how my class can
generally handle this topic. It was more like an arrow pointing in the
direction of what my students abilities are on this particular topic. It
was powerful because I felt that the students were giving complete and
original thoughts and in complete sentences, some, in strings and extended
sentences.

This was conducted in a Spanish 3 class, but I feel it can be done in
Spanish 1 or 2. I have some ideas on how that might look, but I thought I
would throw this idea out there and see if you guys wanted to try it, or
had any ideas of your own on how it might be used at the lower levels.

I want to re-iterate that I did not used this idea to determine a
particular proficiency level for a student, rather to collect data on where
I think their levels might be.

I hope this finds you well. Happy OWLing,

Ricardo