[ola] Re: Complete sentences

  • From: JoAnna Coleman <joannac@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 16:07:47 +0000

Thomas and Arnold - thanks to both of you -
I use performance based assessment in my classes, I am not professionally
trained to do OPIs nor do I have the time to dedicate (20 min/student) to do an
authentic OPI interviews, but I do sit down for 5-6 minutes with each student
to assess their language every 4-6 weeks (3 times this semester).

Everything you both say makes sense and reaffirms what I am doing - Thomas, you
voiced concern about the accuracy of their language - keep in mind, these are
totally memorized phrases that students have learned with gestures, that is the
only reason for accuracy - they are not applying any grammar rules to any of
what they're saying (since they don't know any!)

Whenever I teach vocab, I try to teach it more in a story/poem/chant/song
format, so instead of just learning "Me despierto, me levanto" as isolated
phrases in a list, they learn "Primero, me despierto a las seis y entonces me
levanto lentamente, etc..."

Students know what's coming and know I will be asking relevant follow up
questions - following the format of class practice
Thanks again!!!

JoAnna Coleman
Spanish Teacher
Wilson High School
503-916-5280 ext. 75231
joannac@xxxxxxx
http://profecoleman.wordpress.com/

From: JoAnna Coleman <joannac@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [ola] complete sentences vs. memorized phrases/listing
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 20:48:10 +0000

Hello all -

During oral assessments, I sometimes have a difficult time distinguishing
between what would be considered complete sentences vs. a memorized
phrase/chunk or listing

What would you say about the following in an oral assessment? (2nd year
Spanish)

Describe tu rutina por la manana:

Me despierto a las seis todos los dias, entonces me levanto lentamente y voy
al bano. Me ducho en la ducha con agua caliente, me lavo el pelo con champu,
y el cuerpo con jabon. Mi jabon favorito es Dove y mi champu favorito es
Suave. Despues, me seco con una toalla, etc...

These are, in fact, phrases that students have memorized/internalized in a
list, but they are also complete sentences. (he isn't saying yo ir, yo
champu pelo, yo favorito Dove, etc...)

Also, when a student answers a question with a phrase/chunk that you
wouldn't naturally a complete sentence, how do you assess that?

Example:

question: con que frecuencia te lavas el pelo?

answer: todos los dias (it seems unnatural for me to insist that they answer
this question with a complete sentence, me lavo el pelo todos los dias)

I'm asking the wrong questions, aren't I?

I think it's important to ask follow up questions to break up the somewhat
memorized monologue they've prepared for "describe tu rutina por la manana"
to see what they do when caught off guard with a question: will they revert
to phrases/chunks/listing or maintain complete sentences?

Thanks and happy Friday!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:58:14 -0500
From: Thomas Hinkle <thinkle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I don't know if it's helpful, but I try to look for a variety of sentences.
Given that the same student who produced all the "me _____o" sentences also
produces sentences w/ MI favorito es...", and so on, it sounds more like
they're actually creating sentences with language as opposed to just
producing a list.
The only thing that strikes me as surprising (or suspicious) about your
example is that it so correct. I would expect more errors from a student
who's really starting to create with language. We would expect to see some
overgeneralization of patterns (perhaps "me soy" after learning reflexives,
for example), more interference from internalized English grammar and so on.

As to questions, I think your final point is dead on -- it's not about
whether the closed question is "wrong" but whether you move on to give them
opportunities to create larger chunks of language at another point in the
assessment (this is harder when an assessment is not 1:1 -- recorded speech,
partner work, and so on)

The

--
Thomas Hinkle
English & Spanish Department Coordinator Innovation Academy Charter School

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:59:03 -0500
From: Thomas Hinkle <thinkle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 3:58 PM, Thomas Hinkle <
thinkle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't know if it's helpful, but I try to look for a variety of
> sentences. Given that the same student who produced all the "me _____o"
> sentences also produces sentences w/ MI favorito es...", and so on, it
> sounds more like they're actually creating sentences with language as
> opposed to just producing a list.
>
> The only thing that strikes me as surprising (or suspicious) about your
> example is that it so correct. I would expect more errors from a student
> who's really starting to create with language. We would expect to see some
> overgeneralization of patterns (perhaps "me soy" after learning
reflexives,
> for example), more interference from internalized English grammar and so
on.

> As to questions, I think your final point is dead on -- it's not about
> whether the closed question is "wrong" but whether you move on to give
them
> opportunities to create larger chunks of language at another point in the
> assessment (this is harder when an assessment is not 1:1 -- recorded
> speech, partner work, and so on)
>
> The

Tom -- my name is Tom, not "the." Can we tell it's Friday afternoon?

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:19:51 -0800
From: "Jody Soberon" <JodySo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ola] food and flags

Some more awesome pictures, flags made with foods of the country!

http://twentytwowords.com/2013/09/24/national-flags-made-with-foods-that-are
-popular-in-that-country-36-pictures/

Foreign Languages
Brookings Harbor High School