[ola] Re: 9 months!?

  • From: Thomas Hinkle <thinkle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 21:32:05 -0400

I don't know if this is too helpful, but since we had to be quiet for MCAS,
I had to work out some non-physical OLA this week. I actually did an
activity where kids generated stories and wrote little children's books to
share with them (I just folded to sheets of paper up to make 2 16-page
booklets (14 usable) -- you could do it with one piece of paper and have
only 8 pages (6 if you don't count the covers). It was a pretty engaging
full-class activity for them. What was remarkable was that the vast
majority of the time the kids stayed in Spanish. All of the physical
whole-class stuff has trained them by this point in the year to be much
better about being in Spanish, so activities that used to be off limits
might now be possible.

For starters to help them write, we used "Rory's Story Cubes", a great game
I found first for my 3 & 5 year olds and then started using for my students.

Tom

--
Thomas Hinkle
English & Spanish Teacher