[obol] what the heck did I just see?

  • From: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 12:43:01 -0700

I was on walkabout to Wireless Rd this morning.  The WHIMBREL
have arrived.  There were no fewer than 300.

At about 11:30 while on my way back home a flock of about 30
Whimbrel flew over and imbedded in the flock was a noticably
smaller curlew-shaped bird.  My best guess is about 2/3 the
size of the rest of the flock.  I definitely had a longish,
downward curved bill.  It was poorly lit, but appeared to have
a brown belly.

Based on size and jizz, I can eliminate Dunlin with confidence.

Those who follow ID frontiers have probably read stories of a
so-called "runt whimbrel", I have never seen one, but that could
be what I saw, if such a thing exists.

Other more interesting possibilities:
  Ruff - probably too dark for this, but bad light can excuse anything
  Upland Sandpiper - curved bill probably eliminates this
  Stilt Sandpiper - I think this can be eliminated by size

Then there are the out there, vanishing small likelihood:
  Little Curlew
  Eskimo Curlew

I will be heading back out at a mid-tide later today to see if I can
relocate this bird

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR