[obol] Shorebird Migration- Peak Arrival Time

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 11:51:08 -0700

I was out today and the ocean was dead, I heard the same from Russ Namitz
who was scoping early AM in Gold Beach.  The spring migration peak is a
short, intense wave which is normally just a couple days long or so.  I had
a few folks ask me if we had hit the peak- not yet.  The latest we have
seen the big wave hit in Coos the past 10 years or so is about the 2nd or
3rd of May, give or take a day or two.  With the nice weather forecasted
next week I would put my money (which I don't have much of) on the
Wednesday through Friday period.  Most of the spring migrants move through
without stopping although some years we get pretty good numbers at Bandon
Marsh NWR. Anyhow, for those wanting to see shorebirds next week is looking
good.

Bob Fields reports a M. Godwit out on the north spit yesterday and the day
before, all I have been seeing is smaller flocks of Leasterns, Whimbrel, SB
Dows, and G. Yellowlegs.  Bring the big numbers on!

No SWTHs this morning.

Merry migration,
Tim R
Coos Bay