[obol] southern Willamette Valley Sunday

  • From: Norgren Family <gnorgren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 13:14:34 -0800

xxxxx ooooooooo xxxxxxx
   I went to Eugene a week ago and
from Albany southward I saw Bald
Eagles in every five minute period,
usually multiple birds. Yesterday
(3/3/13) I saw only one, and it was
the result of a dedicated stop. Diamond
Hill south of Brownsville had a single
1st year bird soaring far to the north
along the powerline. There was a single
TURKEY VULTURE a few miles north of there,
my first this season other than a CBC
bird in Coquille back the first week of
January.
   Many RED-TAILED HAWKS in pairs, often
on highway lamp posts, sometimes two pairs
in under a mile. There were about 500 gulls
in a field south of Brownsville, but east
of I-5 while I was southbound, so they received
no real scrutiny.
   I pretended to look for the SWAMP SPARROW
at Royal Avenue platform, but the wind was
attrocious. 30 mph, probably the strongest
I've encountered since I started visiting the
place 35 years ago. Bad for passerines, but
everything else was in flight. A MERLIN went
south over the parkinglot while I got ready
to hike. I heard a BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, and
saw SNIPE, DUNLIN, and DOWITCHERS in the course
of the hour I endured the blast. Female NORTHERN
HARRIERS very much in evidence at Royal Avenue
and Cantrell Road.
   A week ago there were WESTERN BLUEBIRDS at
the jct of Oak Hill Rd and Cantrell. Yesterday
I saw a pair at very close range where the south
end of Dukhabor Rd crosses Crow Hwy. I know this
is a predictable species in that neighborhood now,
but I still remember how seldom we saw them three
decades ago. It was a nice finish to two consecutive
visits to west Eugene.  Lars