[obol] Re: photos of new feathers - fuzzy! Diffraction or what?

  • From: "Jenkins, Maurice A." <alanjenkins@xxxxxx>
  • To: "priscillanhk@xxxxxxxxx" <priscillanhk@xxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 19:56:24 +0000

Hi Priscilla,

It's not clear to me what feathers and what parts of the feathers you're asking
about.  The greenish iridescence is normal light diffraction of some feathers
in many species.  In fact, most avian green color is from iridescence and not
pigmentation.  It would seem to me that one would not be able to focus on
iridescence, just like tying to sharply focus on a rainbow.

I do not see any ensheathed feathers in your photo, they all appear to be fully
grown out.  The sheaths of in-growing feathers are translucent white and round
in cross section like a white soda straw.

If the fuzzy nature you refer to is the tan edging of the feathers, they might
appear frayed out on the edges and thereby looked unfocused; the edges of some
feathers are less tightly organized (the adjacent feather filaments adhere less
to their neighbors) than the central parts closer to the shaft.  The tan and
white edges of feathers are weaker than darker ones because dark pigment
(melanin) makes the feathers stronger where it occurs.  Feather mites, which
eat feathers, specialize in eating away the less pigmented, and weaker parts,
which changes the shape of the feathers along the edges and would make the
eaten feathers look sharper.  Many body feathers start out spade shaped with
convex edges, and as the mites eat the softer less pigmented edges, they become
lance shaped with concave edges.

That's my take on it, but again I'm not quite sure what parts or
characteristics you are referring to, and fuzziness could just be a case of
camera movement, out of depth of field parts of the photos or an artifact of
enlarging the shot.

They are great photos, however, please keep on sharing them.

Alan Jenkins

Creswell, Oregon