[obol] pelagic falcons

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 13:11:27 -0700

    To add to Wayne's observations on raptor migration in the Florida Keys: I
was on a boat trip to the Dry Tortugas led by Davis Finch and Will Russell in
1977. It was sometime in April. The Coast Guard station west of the fort was
swarming with Peregrines and Merlins. In 1977 Peregrines were a real rarity. I
don't recall how many we saw, maybe dozens. Everyone said it was the most
Peregrines they'd ever seen at once. I was about 17 years old and by far the
youngest passenger on the trip. 38 years later I still haven't seen that many
Peregrines in a 24 hour period, let alone a single point count.  Lars